Here are some tips that will help you pick out the perfect tree this holiday season:
- There are three major families of Christmas tree that are often used for the holidays: fir trees, spruce trees and pine trees.
- Trees in tree lots have sometimes been cut for over two weeks. Moisture is important to check for, since the moisture will keep the tree green and leafy for longer.
- Pick up and drop the stump of the tree on the ground and see how many needles fall off. This is a good baseline to see how fresh the tree really is.
- Some trees retain needles better than others – Scotch pines, Douglas firs and other firs have a greater ability to keep their needles longer.
- Buy a stand and a plastic disposal bag to place underneath your new tree to make cleanup as easy as possible.